Cummings Won't Resign After Press Statement

Dominic Cummings says he won't be resigning after making a statement to the press about his trip to Durham during lockdown.

This is the statement in full:

Good afternoon, thank you for coming. Yesterday I gave a full account to the Prime Minister of my actions between the 27th of March and the 14th of April, what I thought and did.

He has asked me to repeat that account directly to you.

I know that millions of people in this country are angry, thousands have died, many are angry about what they have seen in the media about my actions. I want to clear up the confusions and misunderstandings that I can.

In retrospect I should have made the statement earlier.

It's many years since I have said anything on television, but I'll do my best to answer questions after I've explained what happened.

I also should clarify that I'm not here to speak on behalf of the Government or the Prime Minister, I'm explaining my own actions and my own thinking.

The Prime Minister is giving a press conference later and he will answer questions on Government policy.

Around midnight on Thursday the 26th of March I spoke to the Prime Minister. He told me that he tested positive for Covid. We discussed the national emergency, arrangements for Number 10 given his isolation and what I would do in Number 10 the next day.

The next morning I went to work as usual. I was in a succession of meetings about this emergency.

I suddenly got a call from my wife who was at home looking after our four-year-old child. She told me she suddenly felt badly ill, she vomited and felt like she might pass out, and there would be nobody to look after our child. None of our usual childcare options were available. They were alone in the house.

After very briefly telling some officials in Number 10 what happened, I immediately left the building, ran to my car and drove home.

This was reported by the media at the time, who saw me run out of Number 10.

After a couple of hours my wife felt a bit better, there were many critical things at work, and she urged me to return in the afternoon and I did.

That evening I returned home and discussed the situation with my wife. She was ill, she might have Covid though she did not have a cough or a fever.

At this point most of those who I work with most closely - including the Prime Minister himself, and others who sit within 15 feet of me every day - either had had symptoms and had returned to work, or were absent with symptoms.

I thought there was a distinct probability that I had already caught the disease.

I had a few conflicting thoughts in my mind: First, I was worried if my wife and I were both seriously ill, possibly hospitalised, there was nobody in London that we could reasonably ask to look after our child and expose themselves to Covid. My wife had felt on the edge of not being able to look after him safely a few hours earlier.

I was thinking: What if the same or worse happens to me? There is nobody I can reasonably ask to help. The regulations make clear, I believe, that risks to the health of a small child were an exceptional situation and I had a way of dealing with this that minimised risk to others.

Second, I thought that if I did not develop symptoms then I might be able to return to work to help deal with the crisis. There were ongoing discussions about testing Government staff in order to keep people like me working rather than isolating.

At this point, on the Friday, advisers such as myself had not been included in a list of who were tested. But it was possible this might be changed the following week. Therefore I thought that after testing negative I could continue working. In fact this did not change and special advisers were not tested, and I have never been tested.

Third, there had been numerous false stories in the media about my actions and statements regarding Covid, in particular there were stories suggesting I had opposed lockdown and even that I didn't care about many deaths.

For years I have warned of the dangers of pandemics. Last year I wrote about the possible threat of coronaviruses and the urgent need for planning.

The truth is I argued for lockdown, I did not oppose it. But these stories have created a very bad atmosphere around my home. I was subject to threats of violence, people came to my house shouting threats, there were posts on social media encouraging attacks, there were many media reports on TV showing pictures of my house. I was also worried that given the severity of this emergency, this situation would get worse and I was worried about the possibility of leaving my wife and child at home all day and often into the night while I worked in Number 10.

I thought the best thing to do in the circumstances was drive to an isolated cottage on my father's farm. At this farm my parents live in one house, my sister and her two children live in another, and there is a separate cottage roughly 50 metres away from either of them.

My tentative conclusion on the Friday evening was this: If we were both unable to look after our child, then my sister or nieces can look after him. My nieces are 17 and 20. They are old enough to look after him but also young enough to be in the safest category, and they had extremely kindly offered to do so if needed.

But I thought if I do not develop symptoms and with a testing regime in place at work, I could return to work if I tested negative. In that situation I could leave my wife and child behind in a safe place - safe in the form of support from family for shopping and emergencies, safe in the sense of being away from our home should we become a target, and also safe for everybody else because they were completely isolated on a farm and could not infect anybody.

Contrary to some media reports, there are no neighbours in the normal sense of the word. The nearest other homes are roughly half a mile away. So in this scenario I thought they could stay there for a few weeks, I could go back to work, help colleagues, and everybody including the general public would be safe.

I did not ask the Prime Minister about this decision - he was ill himself and he had huge problems to deal with. Every day I have to exercise my judgment about things like this and decide what to discuss with him. I thought I would speak to him when the situation clarified over the coming days, including whether I had symptoms and whether there were tests available.

Arguably this was a mistake and I understand some will say I should have spoken to the Prime Minister before deciding what to do.

So I drove the three of us up to Durham that night, arriving roughly at midnight.

I did not stop on the way. When I woke the next morning, Saturday the 28th of March, I was in pain and clearly had Covid symptoms, including a bad headache and a serious fever. Clearly I could not return to work any time soon.

For a day or two we were both ill, I was in bed, my wife was ill but not ill enough that she needed emergency help.

I got worse, she got better. During the night of Thursday the 2nd of April, my child woke up, he threw up and had a bad fever. He was very distressed, we took medical advice which was to call 999.

An ambulance was sent, they assessed my child and said he must go to hospital. I could barely stand up, my wife went with him in the ambulance, I stayed at home, he stayed the night in hospital.

In the morning my wife called to say that he had recovered, seemed back to normal, doctors had tested him for Covid and said they should return home.

There were no taxis. I drove to the hospital, picked him up, then returned home. I did not leave the car or have any contact with anybody at any point on this short trip.

The hospital's - I don't know what, roughly five miles or something away, two miles, three miles, four miles, something like that.

A few days later the hospital said he tested negative. After I started to recover, one day in the second week I tried to walk outside the house. At one point the three of us walked into woods owned by my father, next to the cottage we were staying in. Some people saw us in the woods from a distance but we had no interaction with them. We had not left the property, we were on private land.

By Saturday the 11th of April, I was still feeling weak and exhausted, but other than that I had no Covid symptoms. I thought I would be able to return to work the following week, possibly part time. It was obvious that the situation was extremely serious - the Prime Minister had been gravely ill, colleagues were dealing with huge problems and many were ill or isolating.

I felt like I ought to return to work if possible, given I was now recovering, in order to relieve the intense strain at Number 10.

On the Saturday I sought expert medical advice, I explained our family's symptoms and all the timings and asked if it was safe to return to work on Monday, Tuesday, seek childcare and so on.

I was told that it was safe and I could return to work and seek childcare.

On Sunday